Monday, June 20, 2011

Beautiful Music

So, in my own opinion my last post was kind of harsh. To make up for it, I decided to post one of my favorite pieces of classical music. I have always loved listening to classical music (in moderation) and sometime use it to help me focus when I study. The summer between my sophomore and junior years in college, I took a course on Music History, and this beautiful piece by Bedřich Smetana called Má Vlast Moldau is the only new piece that has stuck in my mind. Smetana was inspired by the Vtlava river (Moldau in German), and wrote six symphonic poems to represent different lengths of the river on its way to joining the Elbe.  

You can almost see the streams running over rocks and crevices, then joining together through woods and forests. You can hear the dancing and merry making of the farmers' wedding, you can see the grandness of the ancient ruins and castles. Or none of these things if you decide to just listen to it as background music. I think it's beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment